Jay Magidson lives and works from his home in the mountains outside of Aspen, Colorado. He grew up in Northern California, son of an art dealer. Surrounded by art, artists, galleries and museums, he knew he would be involved in the arts. His original desire was to be an artist himself. He studied art in college; though he had the talent, he fell in love with writing. The visual arts continued to fill his world, however, and Jay joined the family business as art dealer and eventually gallery owner.
Jay met Ingrid, his wife in his gallery in Aspen. She was also from a family of artists, and art. Her art career blossomed in 2007 with her first one-person exhibition. Jay closed his gallery in 2008 to manage her career and devote his time to writing.
Jay’s weekly art essays were published to acclaim in The Aspen Daily News and The Roaring Fork Sunday. His children’s book, Shira’s Wish, Photographs by Bobbie Goodrich was released in October 2011. It is being widely hailed by young readers. Colors, a collection of short stories, was released in July 2012. His third book, Threshold of the mind was released in early 2013.
Jay is married with two children.
- 1959 – Born in Southern California right after Hawaii and Alaska became states.
- 1981 – Graduated Bachelor of Science, International Business; University of Copenhagen, Denmark, Foreign Extension Program of San Jose State University, California
- 1983 – Post Graduate Work, New York University
- 1981 – 1985: Director, Magidson Fine Art, New York, NY
- 1985 – 1990: Freelance writer/art dealer
- 1990 – 2008: Owner, Magidson Fine Art Gallery, Aspen, Co
- 2009 – 2012: Director, Ann Korologos Gallery, Basalt, Co
- 2007 – Present: Marketing Director, Ingrid Dee Magidson, Inc.
- 1999 – Present: Writer of Fiction, Art Essays, Poetry
- 1986 Technical software manuals for Docustream
- 1997 – 2000 “Framed,” Weekly art essays and commentary published in The Aspen Daily News and The Roaring Fork Sunday
- 2005 – 2008 Various art articles published in The Aspen Sojourner Magazine
- 2007 – Various and frequent art essays published online in the Red Dot Blog, Gelatinous Thoughts, Blog.IngridMagidson.com, and others
- 2011 Book: Shira’s Wish, children’s story with photographs by Bobbie Goodrich published October 2012
- 2012 Book: Colors, Dark Fiction published July 2012
- 2013 Book: Madness of the Muses – The Art of Ingrid Dee Magidson (Editor, Essays and Poetry (Hardcover 176 pages)
- 2013 Book: Threshold of the Mind – Science Fiction distopia (paperback 328 pages)
- Collection of Short Stories: The Christmas Pieces and other Children’s Stories. To be released 2014
- Late 2013, Book: The Crystalline Sword, Young adult fiction.
- Former President Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity, San Jose State University
- Alumnus Tau Delta Phi Honor Society, San Jose State University, contributor to The Tower List, Annual Professor Survey.
- Former Board Director, Aspen Chamber Resort Association
- Former Member International Society of Appraisers
- Member American Mensa
- Member Mysterium Society
- Board Member, Voices of Tomorrow Foundation
- Board Member, Wyly Community Art Center, Basalt, CO