Jay Magidson lives and works from his home in the mountains outside of Aspen, Colorado. He grew up in Northern California, son of an art dealer. Surrounded by art, artists, galleries and museums, he knew he would be involved in the arts. His original desire was to be an artist himself. He studied art in college; though he had the talent, he fell in love with writing. The visual arts continued to fill his world, however, and Jay joined the family business as art dealer and eventually gallery owner.
Jay met Ingrid, his wife in his gallery in Aspen. She was also from a family of artists, and art. Her art career blossomed in 2007 with her first one-person exhibition, which sold out two days before it opened. Jay closed his Aspen gallery in 2008 to manage her career and devote his time to writing.
Jay’s weekly art essays were published to reader acclaim in The Aspen Daily News and The Roaring Fork Sunday. His children’s book, Shira’s Wish, Photographs by Bobbie Goodrich was released in October 2011. It is being widely hailed by young readers. Colors, a collection of short stories, was released in July 2012. Threshold of the Mind a distopian novel was released in early 2013. He wrote and edited Madness of the Muses, the Art of Ingrid Dee Magidson, which was published in 2013.
Jay is married with two children.
- 1959 – Born in Southern California right after Hawaii and Alaska became states.
- 1981 – Graduated Bachelor of Science, International Business; University of Copenhagen, Denmark, Foreign Extension Program of San Jose State University, California
- 1983 – Post Graduate Work, New York University
- 1984 – Language studies, Alliance Francaise, NY
- 1981 – 1985: Gallery Director, Magidson Fine Art, New York, NY
- 1985 – 1990: Freelance writer/art dealer
- 1990 – 2008: Owner, Magidson Fine Art Gallery, Aspen, Co
- 2009 – 2012: Gallery Director and founder, Ann Korologos Gallery, Basalt, Co
- 2007 – Present: Artist Agent, Ingrid Dee Magidson, Inc.
- 1985 – Present: Writer of Fiction, Children Stories, Biographies, Philosophy, Art Essays and Poetry
- 1986 Technical software manuals for Docustream
- 1997 – 2000 “Framed,” Weekly column of art essays and commentary published in The Aspen Daily News and The Roaring Fork Sunday
- 2005 – 2008 Various art articles and interviews published in The Aspen Sojourner Magazine
- 2007 – Various and numerous art essays published online in the Red Dot Blog, Gelatinous Thoughts, Blog.IngridMagidson.com, and others
- 2011 Book: Shira’s Wish, children’s story with photographs by Bobbie Goodrich published October 2012
- 2011 – present, essays and short stories, JayMagidson.com
- 2012 Book: Colors, Dark Fiction published July 2012
- 2013 Book: Madness of the Muses – The Art of Ingrid Dee Magidson (Editor, Essays and Poetry (Hardcover 176 pages)
- 2013 Book: Threshold of the Mind – Science Fiction distopia (paperback 328 pages)
- 2015 AudioBook: Threshold of the Mind, performed by Jeff Clarke (Mad Men, Fargo, 12 Monkeys).
- 2016 – present: Audiobook reviewer for new releases on Audiobookreviewer.com (over 120 as of 2017)
- Book: The Christmas Pieces and other Children’s Stories.
- Book: The Crystalline Sword, Young adult fiction.
Books in Progress
- Book: Confessions of an Art Dealer, Fiction
- Book: Gears of the Universe, Speculative Fiction
- Book: From the Holocaust to New York City: The Life of Hungarian Artist, Eva Cellini, Biography
- Book: Eclipse, Collection of Poems by Jay Magidson
- Various short stories, fiction, science fiction
Honors and Memberships
- Former President Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity, San Jose State University
- Alumnus Tau Delta Phi Honor Society, San Jose State University, contributor to The Tower List, Annual Professor Survey
- Former Commissioner, Aspen Arts Commission
- Award Reviewer, Colorado Council on the Arts, Denver
- Former Board Director, Aspen Chamber Resort Association
- Former Member International Society of Appraisers
- Member American Mensa
- Member Mysterium Society
- Board Member, Voices of Tomorrow Foundation
- Former Board President, The ArtBase Community Art Center, Basalt, CO
- Former Commissioner, Basalt Way-finding Commission
- Former Commissioner, Basalt Arts Commission
- Executive Director, Stratumentis Publishing